Monday, September 23, 2013

Dress Stories: Three Times a Bridesmaid


My dear friend Niki's wedding at her grandmother's home in Barbados

Always a bridesmaid? Well certainly if you have been one three times. That is the superstition, three times means never a bride. Fortunately, I do not believe in superstitions but I did have three bridesmaid dresses in my closet until recently.  The three weddings I was privileged to take part in were each so special that I had been holding on to the bridesmaid dresses. I thought maybe someday I would cut them short or repurpose them, but finally I claimed the moment to make use of them now. My friend Jody Stephenson founded Twice Upon a Dress and I decided the best use for my bridesmaid dresses was clearly giving them away to help a scholar in Africa. The dresses served no purpose in my closet and could change a life. This potential put a calling on my heart to help.


Twice Upon a Dress lets you share the beautiful story and photos of the first use of the dress. Above and below were weddings for my sorority sisters. Niki above, at her grandmother's home in Barbados and Christy below, in St. Petersburg. Both bridesmaid dresses were long, sleeveless pastel gowns that will go to Africa to be sold, with proceeds supporting young scholars.


The third wedding was my dear friend from childhood, Allison. Unfortunately as the photo below shows, we ran on the golf course and it left a permanent mark on the dress. For a dress to have a second life, it must be like new so this one could not be donated. As I gathered the dresses to mail, I realized how blessed and grateful I am, to have been part of these great weddings, for marriages still together with beautiful families, and to have too many dresses in my closet. 


Donating your bridesmaid, bridal or formal gown takes only mailing it in Twice Upon a Dress. There is no reason not to.

My name is Rachel and I help Jody make this blog possible. When I am not supporting this blog, I am working on my own at www.rkwblog.blogspot.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment